Family adventure therapy has numerous parallels to group adventure therapy, like a household is a specialized kind of group. Adventure therapy with families can be tough because of the have to accommodate a large diversity in age brackets and developmental levels, in addition to personal requirements of various people of the family. However, family adventure therapy can assist families with a number of treatment goals. Most particularly, it’s really a effective tool in assisting battling families to build up a functional family structure. Additionally, this kind of treatment makes it possible for families to build up improved communication or problem-solving skills, mend broken relationships, build trust, or develop appropriate limitations and roles, amongst other things (Berman & Davis-Berman, 1994 Gass, 1994 Bandoroff & Parrish, 1998 Bandoroff & Scherer, 1994 Becvar & Becvar, 1988 Clapp & Rudolph, 1990 Gerstein, 1996 Gillis & Gass, 1993 Jacobsen, 1992 Mulholland & Johnson 1998).
1. An intensive knowledge of family structure, dynamics, and theories of healthy family functioning is needed (Gass, 1994 Becvar & Becvar, 1988 Newes, 2000).
2. Practitioners conserve a respect for non-traditional family systems and cultural competence skills for coping with diverse family systems (Gass, 1994 Schoel & Maizell, 2002).
3. Practitioners maintain a comprehension from the internal and exterior risk and protective factors impacting the household system (Lung, Stauffer & Alvarez, 2008 Berg, 1994).
4. Think about the family roles, age brackets, and amounts of human development symbolized by family people, along with the relationship from the family people towards the treatment goals in creating a technique for using adventure activities because the catalyst for change (Lung, Stauffer & Alvarez, 2008 Newes, 2000).
5. Adventure therapy with families begins with an intensive assessment of family functioning, which guides the establishment of treatment goals, in addition to selection of activities for that course of treatment (Gass, 1994 Lung, Stauffer & Alvarez, 2008 Gerstein, 1996).
6. Deal with both physical and emotional issues of safety vigilantly during family adventure therapy sessions. The active nature from the activities leads to families revealing their natural method of responding that may include highly billed issues of safety to see relatives people
(Becvar & Becvar, 1988 Bandoroff & Scherer, 1988 Bandoroff & Parrish, 1998 Gass, 1994 Devault & Strong, 1986 Newes, 2000).
7. Facilitate the household&rsquos engagement within an active, experiential process because the catalyst for change:
- Use adventure activities to change and boost the family dynamics, structure, and patterns of interaction.
- Introduce novel situations, which might provide the unique chance to educate families how you can play enjoy yourself together like a legitimate treatment goal.
- Highlight new patterns of interaction inside the family session that have the possibility to enhance family functioning.
- Try to develop appropriate relationships and limitations inside the family structure. Facilitate member of the family&rsquos experience with positive feedback and support inside the family session.
- Deal with family people&rsquo responses to positive alterations in family functioning and facilitate their experience with healthier family functioning by having an eye toward acceptance and celebration of the growth.
- Facilitate the household&rsquos reaction to taking part in a practical family experience where the family processes both successes and failures.
- Facilitate family people&rsquo experimentation with alternative modes of coping, selection, and contacting each other that emerge throughout the activity or are needed to accomplish the game.
- Assist the family to integrate the shifts experienced throughout the intervention in creating a brand new family identity that highlights their connection and competencies.
8. Make observation of family functioning which are shown within the present from the therapy session. These problems are frequently revealed inside a concrete manner and therefore are potentially less defended and much more readily available for therapeutic inquiry. The elevated understanding of ineffective family behaviors makes it possible for for clarification of family goals. The elevated understanding of family strengths makes it possible for for clarification of intervention strategies and identification of sources open to support change.
9. Deal with connecting issues inside the family treatment context. Adventure family therapy includes a strong possibility to heal strained relationships between family people within the following ways:
- Integrating family people back to their loved ones system
- Understanding how to connect with each other in a good reputation
- Building positive alliance within the relationships
- Experiencing one&rsquos family function inside a positive, supportive manner