(pertains to all saltwater species except grouper and snook)
20-Fathom Break and Grouper Atlantic/Gulf boundary line
Several types of Gulf grouper (red, black, yellowfin, yellowmouth and scamp) are closed February. 1-March 31 seaward from the 20-fathom break.
Monroe County: Several types of Atlantic grouper (red, black, yellowfin, yellowmouth, scamp, rock hind, red hind, coney, graysby and tiger) are closed Jan. 1 – April 30 in most condition and federal waters from the Atlantic including all condition waters off Monroe County (Atlantic and Gulf sides). In this closure, anglers can harvest grouper in open federal waters from the Gulf and go back to port in Monroe County by traveling through closed condition waters from the Gulf as lengthy because the vessel proceeds straight to port without having to stop to fish.
Gag Grouper Management Zones
Gag grouper is open within the Gulf condition waters June 1-12 ,. 31 (excluding Franklin, Wakulla, Taylor, Jefferson and Monroe counties) April 1-June 30 in condition waters from Franklin, Wakulla, Taylor and Jefferson counties and could 1-12 ,. 31 in Atlantic condition and federal waters.
Red Drum Management Zone
The daily bag limit for red drum is 2 per part of the northeast management zone and 1 per part of the northwest and south management zone.
- Northwest:Escambia through Fred Howard Park Causeway near Pasco County
- South:Fred Howard Park Causeway through Monroe County (west coast) and Miami-Dade through Volusia counties (new england)
- Northeast: Flagler through Nassau counties
Spotted Seatrout Management Zone
The daily bag limit for spotted seatrout is 6 per part of the northeast zone, 5 per part of the northwest zone and 4 per part of the southeast and southwest zones.
- Northwest:Escambia County through Fred Howard Park Causeway near Pasco County.
- Southwest:Fred Howard Park Causeway through Monroe County line at Card Seem.
- Southeast:Miami-Dade County at Card South through Volusia County.
- Northeast: Flagler through Nassau counties.
Bay Scallop Harvest Zone
Bay scallops may be harvested in condition waters in the Pasco-Hernando County line (near Aripeka – latitude 28 levels, 26.016 minutes North) towards the west bank from the Mexico Beach Canal in Bay County (longitude 85 levels, 25.84 minutes West).
2017 Bay Scallop Zone Maps
Bay scallops may be harvested in condition waters in the following zones:
Zone 1 (St. Joe Bay and Gulf County): Includes all condition waters in the west bank from the Mexico Beach Canal in Bay County with the western most reason for St. Vincent Island in Franklin County.
Zone 2 (Taylor and Dixie counties): Includes all condition waters south and east of Rock Island, close to the mouth from the Fenholloway River in Taylor County with the Suwannee River Alligator Pass Daybeacon 4 in Levy County.
Zone 3 (other open areas): Includes all condition waters the westernmost reason for St. Vincent Island in Franklin County through Rock Island close to the mouth from the Fenholloway River in Taylor County and from the Suwannee River Alligator Pass Daybeacon 4 in Levy County with the Hernando-Pasco county line.
Blue Crab Trap Closures
In order to identify and retrieve lost and abandoned blue crab traps, the FWC has built regional blue crab trap closures. All six of these regional closures last as long as ten days and stop recreational and commercial harvest of blue crabs with traps during these areas. The closures alternate coasts each year with closures around the new england of Florida occurring throughout the even numbered many closures around the west coast occurring around the odd years.
Even Year Closures
- All waters from the St. Johns River system its connected ponds and tributaries from west from the St. Johns River’s intersection using the Intercoastal Canal through and including Lake Helen of Blazes from Jan. 16-25
- All waters in the Georgia/Florida condition line, excluding the St. Johns River system, south through Volusia County from August. 20-29
- All waters of Brevard through Palm Beach counties, excluding the St. Johns River system, from August. 10-19
Odd Year Closures
- All waters of Franklin County towards the Florida/Alabama condition line however, excluding all waters from the Ochlockonee River and Bay, from Jan. 5-14
- All waters of Broward through Pasco Counties from This summer 10-19
- All waters of Hernando through Wakulla counties including all waters from the Ochlockonee River and Bay from This summer 20-29
Permit Management Zone
Recreational harvest of permit is closed May 1 – This summer 31 inside the Special Permit Zone.
The Special Permit Zone includes condition and federal waters south of Cape Florida within the Atlantic and south of Cape Sable within the Gulf.
Snook Season Atlantic/Gulf Boundary Line
Snook is managed by two regions in Florida: Atlantic and Gulf (including Monroe County and Everglades Park). Rules apply in condition and adjacent federal waters. A snook permit is needed otherwise exempt.
The Weakfish Management Zone includes condition waters in the Florida-Georgia line towards the southernmost tip of Amelia Island, the inland waters of Nassau County and also the St. Marys River and it is tributaries east of Highway 17, north of Condition Highway 200A and north from the Shave Bridge around the Amelia River.